Basic Practice Routine Tips that Parents Should Know About
Updated: 4 days ago
My name is Manuel Diewald and I am a Sydney based guitar teacher in West Pennant Hills who is in his final year at the University of New South Wales studying music with a stream in Pedagogy. In this blog, I will be sharing some basic tips in order to help manage a consistent practice routine for your child.
The beginning of music lessons is an exciting time for both parents and children, and it is important to develop positive practice routines.
Here are a few reminders about practice:
• Daily practice of lesson material is essential for your child’s musical growth.
• Each day should include at least one practice session.
• Several short sessions are preferable to one long session. Fatigue and lack of concentration tend to set in if sessions are too long.
• Schedule sessions at various times of the day (early morning, afternoon, and evening).
• Review lesson material at each session.
• Keep sessions fun and engaging. If your child begins losing focus, return at a later time.
• Encourage your child to perform for you, your family, and friends.
• Keeping notes in a homework diary can be useful for yourself and your teacher to keep updated on your progress.
I hope this leaves you with some inspiring ways to approach practice.